So I really delighted to be directed to Pittsburgh band Lohio.
Lohio just released an EP titled Family Tree in September. I had the opportunity to give it a listen and I've got to tell you, it's really fun.
I really love the instrumentation on this EP. It has a really wonderful acoustic sound. They have a very "earthy" tone to them. In a world of heavily processed vocals and electronic music, it's great to find a band that has a a far more natural sound.
I found that their music has a very unique blend of simplicity and intricacy, which I like. Instrumentally they use some really unique blends of instruments all of which set the tone of each song perfectly. Vocally, they manage to really pull out some really big choral sounds and then contrast them with more quiet vocals of the primary songwriter Greg Dutton and vocalist Liz Adams. As someone who appreciates contrasts in dynamics, Lohio does this really well.
My personal favorite song on the 5-track EP is Adelai. I love the chorus riff and during the bridge it almost has a Phillip Glass kind of feel to it.
To promote the new EP, Lohio is kicking off a tour in February. You can check out the dates below. But I want to extend a special invite to my local friends and mention that they'll be here in Morgantown on February 4 at 123 Pleasant Street. And for my wider range of friends in PA, they'll be playing in Pittsburgh on February 19 at Thunderbird Cafe. I'm planning to go to the Morgantown show, so if you want to go, be sure to shoot me a message and we'll hook up!
- Feb 3 – 136 Loft – Buffalo, NY
- Feb 4 – 123 Pleasant St. – Morgantown, WV
- Feb 5 – Davis Elkins College – Elkins, WV
- Feb 7 – Union Hall – New York, NY
- Feb 8 – Lit Lounge – New York, NY
- Feb 10 – The Fat Frogg – New York, NY
- Feb 12 – The Cave – Chapel Hill, NC
- Feb 14 – Cosmic Charlie’s – Lexington, KY
- Feb 15 – The Bishop – Bloomington, IN
- Feb 16 – Rudyard Kipling – Louisville, KY
- Feb 17 – Vollrath – Indianapolis, IN
- Feb 18 – KOBO – Columbus, OH
- Feb 19 – Thunderbird – Pittsburgh, PA
If you're looking for a unique, interesting indie-band, I definitely recommend checking out Lohio.
Buy It: You can purchase Lohio's EP Family Tree here.
Win It: The band has graciously offered a copy of their EP to one lucky reader! Contest open to residents of the US who are 18 and older.
- Who is your favorite band right now?
- Follow Lohio on Twitter.
- Like Lohio on Facebook.
- Follow my blog publicly on Google Friend Connect.
- Follow my blog on Networked blogs.
- Subscribe to my site by RSS or email.
- Follow me on Twitter.
- Like Big Mama's Blog on Facebook.
- Tweet this contest using the following: Win a copy of @Lohiomusic's new EP Family Tree from @BigMama247! http://bit.ly/hY2NEV #win #giveaway (2x per day at least an hour apart)
- Post my button on your blog (leave a link where I can find it).
- Vote for me on the Fence (see button on the right -- just click! Can do this once a day!).
Please make sure that I have a way to contact you (if you leave an email in your Disqus comment, I'll have it even though it's not visible to everyone). If I can't contact you, I'll make a different selection. This contest will be open until 11:59 PM, January 31. I will choose a winner using the Random.org random number generator. I will send an email to the winner who will have 48 hours to respond. If I don't hear from you by then, I'll select another comment.
Thanks and good luck!
Thanks and good luck!