Stuff Christians Like, stop reading now and go pick it up. We'll wait.)
But this review isn't about that book. It's about his new book, Gazelles, Baby Steps and 37 Other Things Dave Ramsey Taught Me About Debt.
Again, Acuff absolutely knocks it out of the park with this book. It's written very much in the style of his blog, but is entirely about money management. It's fantastic because you can read it as quickly or slowly as you want. I finished it in two sittings, but you could totally stretch it out over a nice long chunk of time by just reading one chapter (or "post" as I like to think of them) at a time. However you choose to read it, you'll be entertained and informed.
He covers a huge variety of topics. Bridesmaid gowns, Dave Ramsey's blue shirts, velor covered envelopes, designer strollers, shark attacks -- just about anything related to or not related to the Dave Ramsey financial system is covered in this book.
Some of my favorite chapters included (but are by no means limited to):
- Writing a Break-Up Letter to Your Credit Cards
- Cool is Fictional
- Not Everything is an Emergency
- The Scorecard Chapters (because he makes the best "quizzes" EVAH!)
- Your First Night at Financial Peace University
I want to be very clear. This book is not like Stuff Christians Like. But it's absolutely in the style of SCL. Jon's voice is absolutely unmistakable and it is an absolute joy to read anything that he writes. Whether the man is writing about worship eagles or $1800 t-shirts, he writes with humor, authenticity and top-notch pop culture references.
Buy It: You can pick up Jon's new book over at DaveRamsey.com.
Win It: I totally bought two copies of this book because I knew before I read it that I was going to want to give one away. And one lucky reader is going to have the chance to win it! This is open to folks 18 and older in the US.
- Share a frugal tip with us! Anything you do to save money qualifies!
- Follow my blog publicly on Google Friend Connect.
- Follow my blog on Networked blogs.
- Follow me on Twitter.
- Like Big Mama's Blog on Facebook.
- Tweet this contest using the following: Win @jonacuff's latest book from @BigMama247! http://bit.ly/gySdPa (2x per day at least an hour apart)
- Vote for me on the Fence (see button on the right -- just click! Can do this once a day)
Please make sure that I have a way to contact you (if you leave an email in your Disqus comment, I'll have it even though it's not visible to everyone). If I can't contact you, I'll make a different selection. This contest will be open until 11:59 PM, January 17. I will choose a winner using the Random.org random number generator. I will send an email to the winner who will have 48 hours to respond. If I don't hear from you by then, I'll select another comment.
Thanks and good luck!