I received the Make Your Own Chocolate kit from Glee Gum to review and I've got to tell you, this is a fantastic product. It comes with all of the products necessary to make your own chocolate. What I loved about this particular kit was that it gives you all of the various components of chocolate. The kit comes with cocoa butter, cocoa powder, confectioner's sugar, starter crystals, cocoa beans, a thermometer, papers and step by step instructions on how to make the chocolate. It also includes a story about the history of chocolate and lots of great information about the process of creating chocolate now and how it helps those in impoverished areas have a better life.
The kids liked smelling and tasting the chocolate in its different forms. We all laughed at the disparity between the smell and taste of cocoa butter (which smells like chocolate and tastes like wax) and the difference of how the chocolate tasted before we added any sugar to it. It was also really neat to be able to see a cocoa bean and taste it right from the source.
Of course, we also loved the opportunity to try the chocolate once it was all made! It was really delicious and we just had a great time together making the chocolate and learning about its history.
I love that Glee Gum is so conscious about the environment (the products are all organic and the packaging is all recycled/recyclable) and making socially responsible products. I also love that they encourage learning with the information included in the package and the website. They also include lesson plans for each of the Make Your Own Candy kits so you could include a lot more learning beyond the project itself. Fun, responsible, educational, delicious -- that's all kinds of win from where this mom is standing!
Buy It: You can buy a Make Your Own Candy kit from Glee Gum for just $13/kit.
Win It: The awesome folks over at Glee Gum have been kind enough to offer a Make Your Own Candy Kit to one of my readers! You will be able to choose which one you'd like to try (Make Your Own Chocolate, Gum or Gummies). This contest is open to residents of the continental United States only.
- Head over to the Glee Gum website and tell me what other product you might like to try (or what you like best about their mission, which really and truly is why I love this company!).
- Follow Glee Gum on Twitter.
- Like Glee Gum on Facebook.
- Follow my blog publicly on Google Friend Connect.
- Follow my blog on Networked blogs.
- Subscribe to my site by RSS or email.
- Follow me on Twitter.
- Like Big Mama's Blog on Facebook.
- Tweet this contest using the following: Win a Make Your Own Candy Kit by @GleeGuy from @BigMama247! http://bit.ly/gRKsEv #giveaway (2x per day at least an hour apart)
- Post my button on your blog (leave a link where I can find it).
- Vote for me on the Fence (see button on the right -- just click! Can do this once a day!).
Please make sure that I have a way to contact you (if you leave an email in your Disqus comment, I'll have it even though it's not visible to everyone). If I can't contact you, I'll make a different selection. This contest will be open until 11:59 PM, February 6. I will choose a winner using the Random.org random number generator. I will send an email to the winner who will have 48 hours to respond. If I don't hear from you by then, I'll select another comment.
Thanks and good luck!
Thanks and good luck!