I had the opportunity to review Shapelets and let me tell you, if you're going to have silly bands in your house, this is the way to do it! With this kit, your kids are able to design their own stretchy bands into any design they want.
The kit that I received came with the pegboard, 32 pegs, and 24 rubber bands in different colors and sizes. Basically you just put the pegs into the board, wrap your band around it and then bake it for five minutes at 225 degrees. You don't even need a baking sheet, as the pegboard is able to withstand those lower temperatures.
We did have several of the bands break when we made them because we stretched them too tight over the pegs, so some experimentation is needed to determine the best size rubber band for your creation, but when we got that right, it worked like a charm. We were able to make simple shapes like stars and some more complex shapes like animals and creatures that my son created. It was really fun to see the kids experiment with different arrangements of the pegs. You can check out a gallery of kid designed silly bands here.
I would absolutely recommend this. If you've got a birthday party planned, check out the party pack, where you can order 10 kits for only $49.99. When you consider a packet of silly bands can run $4, that's a killer deal. Individual packets are just $9.99, so if you're looking for a great, inexpensive project, this is a fantastic way to go.
Buy it: You can buy your own Shapelets packet for only $9.99!
Win it: One lucky reader will win a Shapelets packet of their very own! This contest is open to residents of the US 18 and older.
- What shape would you use this kit to design?
- Like Shapelets on Facebook.
- Follow my blog publicly on Google Friend Connect.
- Follow my blog on Networked blogs.
- Subscribe to my site by RSS or email (must confirm).
- Follow me on Twitter.
- Like Big Mama's Blog on Facebook.
- Tweet this contest using the following: #Win a make your own silly band kit from @BigMama247 http://bit.ly/eGjxxL #giveaway ends 4/25 (2x per day at least an hour apart)
- Post my button on your blog (leave a link where I can find it).
- Vote for me on the Fence (see button on the right -- just click! Can do this once a day.).
Please make sure that I have a way to contact you (if you leave an email in your Disqus comment, I'll have it even though it's not visible to everyone). If I can't contact you, I'll make a different selection. This contest will be open until 11:59 PM, April 25. I will choose a winner using the Random.org random number generator. I will send an email to the winner who will have 48 hours to respond. If I don't hear from you by then, I'll select another comment.
Thanks and good luck!
Disclosure: I received a package of Shapelets for review, however the opinions expressed here are entirely my own. You can read my full disclosure here.